Monday, February 18, 2013

It’s a Shaggy Dog!

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

This week Flower Soft is featuring the Shaggy Dog Tails clear stamps. I’ll be showing you the set called “Balloons”.

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

Both cards are embossed and colored with Copics with white gel pen accents. This first card I used a trick I learned from good pal, Mel from Mel Stampz… I used my piercing tool which has a very fine tip {or you could use a pin or needle} and scratched lines for the dog fur.

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails Such a cute dog! My DP is SEI Happy day, Spellbinders is Lattice Rectangles.Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This second card I used a technique that I stumbled upon by accident! I’ll just call it ‘white gel pen technique’.

When the stamping bug first bit me I was like every new stamper…gotta have this and that and try it all!! While trying to make some accents with my white gel pen, I totally messed up my image!!! ACK!!! Surprised smilewhat to do!!?! I grabbed my waterbrush hoping to ‘erase’ my mistake. Wow.. it pretty much removed the pen marks!
*You have to do this while the ink is wet* 

If nothing else, it softens the marks and saves your project! But, I found it’s a great way to add subtle highlights!!

I’ll show you some before and afters so you get the idea.

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

Here, I’ve colored my embossed image, and since I was going to cut it out… I WENT OUSIDE THE LINES.. Winking smilefor all you perfectionists out there… LOL!

Next, I added some gel pen.

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

GASP!!! Totally ruined it didn’t I?!!

HB3

See how using the waterbrush softens the pen!! Remember, start out with a little here and there, you can always add more if needed.

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog TailsFlower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

Flower Soft, Shaggy Dog Tails

*My greens turned out wonky in the photos…the actual card is closer to the full card image*

A quick birthday card, using the Happy Birthday embossing folder and popping the dog on top!

I hope I’ve inspired you to try something new and maybe out of your comfort zone, and to stop by Flower Soft and check out the Shaggy Dog Tails clear stamps!

Thanks for stopping!

Dawn

3 comments :

Sandy said...

Wonderful - why are shaggy dogs so dang cute!! Beautiful coloring!
sandy

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Fabulous! He reminds me of Mr. Mugs. Looks like he's so real & furry that could have fleas. heehee. Love your white gel pen technique. I have to try that! (And thanks for trying my weird scratchy technique. You made it look like a million bucks.)

Ann English said...

I LOVE this, Dawn! You are so creative!