Monday, January 26, 2009

Cloud Tutorial and Pleats

Kind of a strange title, I know. I'll start with the "pleats". Today's Technique challenge on SCS was using pleats on your card. Here is the card I did.

Another great set from Our Daily Bread designs.

This one is called "On Eagles' Wings". A quick card to put together really. I was in a hurry this morning as I had to take one grandson over to another grandson's house for his birthday, so I didn't have time to take step by step pictures to show you how to do clouds. The layers are "fauxed" using my handy-dandy ruler and Sharpie marker again...sure saves on cardstock! And my pleats for the challenge are under the verse.

recipe:
Stamps:
on eagles' wings-our daily bread designs
Paper: gp white, collectionz paperz cat plaid by junkitz, rusty pickle spurs
Ink: pitch black, broken china, faded jeans
Accessories: scor-pal, copic markers, daubers, cloud template, ruler/sharpie marker, foam dimensionals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now for the tutorial!

As you can see I stamped the eagle on my cardstock cut with
Spellbinder's Labels One.
Next, I masked the eagle using a sticky note.

These are the three colors of distress inks I'll use and this my fancy-schmancy cloud template... a piece of thin cardboard cut with scalloped scissors.

Then I just hold the template and sponge
off the edge with Broken China.


Keep moving the template around at different angles.

Next I worked in some Milled Lavender.

And finally, Faded Jeans.

You can see I left some white areas...it always turns out different! Somtimes it's a storm brewing, sometimes a pleastant day!

And the finished piece.
No time to make it "into" something... that will come another day! *wink*


I hope you learned something today and hopefully you'll give it a try!


Thanks for stopping!







10 comments :

Joan Ervin said...

You make that look so easy Dawn...sooooo why don't my skies look like that!!??!! I think I need a private duty stamp teacher !!! Your card is fabulous, gf!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the tutorial....I'm gonna try that technique real soon! Thanks!

Starla said...

I'm with Joan....my sponged skies don't look that good either!!

Kittie said...

Gorgeous, Dawn. I love that you created your template with a little wider base (does that make sense?) and allowed the cloud lines to look more natural. I cut out a little handmade template using my snips and created smaller version sort of like the retired SU template with more undefined scallops and like it lots. I will have to try out your wider version as well.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I just love your work. I hope you know what an inspiration you are to all of us. Okay, I'm off to order more distress ink! Wendy Gorton

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW great wonderful card, thank you for sharing the tutorial:-)

Best wishes from germany,
Anja

- dlm. said...

Thank you SO much for your tutorial! I've read and re-read this so that I can try it out today substituting SU! colours for the distress inks.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

I gotta try this out. It looks amazing! That fine scalloped edge is awesome. Hope you're having a great day (well night now) Happy Thursday! oxo

Linda said...

Linda F.

A beautiful card with the symbolic eagle. It puts me in a tranquil and safe place. Thank you for the tutorial, I am always willing to try something new and you have done a nice job of explaining. Thank you.

Auntie Em said...

Great tutorial!!! Thank you for sharing! :)