Monday, June 20, 2011

Just To Spend Them With You…

sc337 blk

Jared has several weddings he’s invited to
and I know he hasn’t given a thought to cards
or probably even gifts!
I figured I’d better get a head start before it hits him and he says…
“MOM!! I need a card for tomorrow!”

Today’s technique challenge on Splitcoast was to make an “Old World” card. I’ve been wanting to play with the new set, Time, from Our Daily Bread designs, using Mel’s Gesso technique… this was the perfect challenge! Remember I told you Mel has sooooo many awesome tricks. I really don’t think her mind ever stops running!

So, I started by “painting” Gesso on to a pieces of cardstock and letting them air dry.

sc337 gesso

Your paper will curl but will flatten out as it dries.

Then I ran this piece through the Cuttlebug with my Sizzix Steampunk embossing folder by Tim Holtz, and sponged with Distress inks.

sc337 emb

sc337 spng

I also took a sanding block over the entire piece to distress it more.

sc337 sand

It’s such a cool technique! It makes your project look like plastered walls.

sc337 save

I stamped the song quote in Walnut Stain and clear embossed before running it through the Grand Calibur with Spellbinders Lattice Rectangles. This piece was also sponged with Distress inks and sanded.

sc337 side

Another cool thing about the Gesso is it lets the ink stay wetter longer so  it allows you to move it around! I stamped the clock image from Time in Pumice Stone, then taking my ink applicator, sponged over.. this removed the ink some but left like a watermark of the image!

sc337 clsup

Lots of distressing with the distress tool and some “on purpose” tearing and curling finished off my layers. I also sponged the card base so the curled/torn edges wouldn’t reveal stark white cardstock! (this is also last week’s sketch from Splitcoast)

SC337 SaveTime OldWorld

stamps: time, save time- our daily bread designs
paper: gp white
ink: ranger distress pumice stone, vintage photo, walnut stain
other: gesso, paintbrush, sizzix embossing folder, cuttlebug, spellbinders lattice rectangles, grand calibur, ink applicator, distress tool, sanding block, clear embossing powder, foam mounting tape

Thanks for stopping!

Dawn

3 comments :

Marlena M. said...

This is soooo cool! I love it. Thanks for your great tips. ;)

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Awwww... You angel, Dawn. I am so excited that you tried the gesso! I haven't played with any for ages, but the texture of it always makes me grin. I love love LOVE the idea of using Distress inks on it. I haven't done that, YET! ;o) Thanks for makin' my week! hugs xox P.s. That sentiment is too lovely.

Heather Huggins said...

Wow cool card. Love that embossing folder..